Build a skill. save a life.
Being a top quality lifeguard come from rigorous training, commitment, vigilance and quality supervision. A lifeguard who is experienced, prepared and confident is an asset to the community. That' why the Sacramento Central YMCA offers American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Courses.
The Lifeguard Program is a scenario-based training course, where participants learn what it takes to be a professional lifeguard. This course provides all the certifications required by the State of California to lifeguard at any pool, beach, or water park.
2018 (All 10am-4pm)
*Classes always offered at Spring Break and Winter Break in 2019
- January 5th-8th 10am-4pm
- March 24th- 27th
- May 21st-24th
- May 25th- 29th
- June 1st-4th
- June 8th-11th
- June 15th-18th
- Y-Members: $200
- Non-Member: $225
In-person registration can be completed at Sacramento Central YMCA or call the front desk at 916.452.9622.
AGE: You must be age 16 or older by the last day of the Lifeguard Program.
E-LEARNING: You must complete approximately 8 hours of e-learning prior to the 1st day of the course. You must provide a certification of completion to your Lifeguard Instructor.
- Information regarding "E-Learning" will be provided to you upon registration.
WATER SKILLS: Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs.
Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface to breathe (or to get a breath).
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- If you an unable to complete the in water skills test you will not be allowed to progress in the course. You will be allowed to transfer to a course held on a later date.
You will need to bring the following to your course:
- E-Learning completion certificate
- Athletic swim suit and multiple towels
- Picture ID (or other proof of age)
- Participant Permission form for individuals under age 18 (available at Sacramento YMCA Front Desk)
Upon successful completion of the course you will receive the following certifications:
- American Red Cross Lifeguard (pool)
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Basic First Aid
- Blood-borne Pathogens