Build a skill. save a life.
Being a top quality lifeguard come from rigorous training, commitment, vigilance and quality supervision. A lifeguard who is experienced, prepared and confident is an asset to the community. That' why the Sacramento Central YMCA offers American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Courses.
The Lifeguard Program is a scenario-based training course, where participants learn what it takes to be a professional lifeguard. This course provides all the certifications required by the State of California to lifeguard at any pool, beach, or water park.
- March 18, 19, 25, and 26 (4 day course)
- April 10 -14 (5 day course)
- May 22 -26 (5 day course)
- June 5 - 9 (5 day course)
- June 16 -19 (4 day course)
- 4 Day Course- 9am to 5pm
- 5 Day Course- 9am to 3pm
- Y-Members: $200
- Non-Member: $225
In-person registration can be completed at Sacramento Central YMCA or call the front desk at 916.452.9622.
For additional information, contact Patrick Maridon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AGE: You must be age 16 or older by the last day of the Lifeguard Program.
E-LEARNING: You must complete approximately 8 hours of e-learning prior to the 1st day of the course. You must provide a certification of completion to your Lifeguard Instructor.
- Information regarding "E-Learning" will be provided to you upon registration.
WATER SKILLS: On the first day of the course you will be required to swim 100 yards (front crawl), tread water for 2 minutes, and swim to the bottom of 12 feet. In addition, you must be able to swim 50 yards using front crawl (head up), sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke (head up), and elementary backstroke.
- If you an unable to complete the in water skills test you will not be allowed to progress in the course. You will be allowed to transfer to a course held on a later date.
You will need to bring the following to your course:
- E-Learning completion certificate
- Athletic swim suit and multiple towels
- Picture ID (or other proof of age)
- Participant Permission form for individuals under age 18 (available at Sacramento YMCA Front Desk)
- Fanny pack, whistle w/lanyard, and CPR barrier mask (available for purchase at Sacramento YMCA)
Upon successful completion of the course you will receive the following certifications:
- Lifeguard (pool, water park, and waterfront)
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Basic First Aid