Language Academy Afterschool Leader
Job Type: Part Time
Category: YMCA Child Care
1926 V Street
Sacramento, CA 95818
The Language Academy of Sacramento (LAS) is a two-way immersion program which prepares kindergarten through eighth-grade students, particularly English learners and those from historically underserved populations, to excel academically in Spanish and English and to become bilingual, and multi culturally competent leaders.
More than just child care, the YMCA program at LAS is designed to support students in their academic and social success, strengthen their language proficiency, and build the confidence and skills they need to be successful — academically, and in life providing a safe, structured, and fun environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans and implements program in accordance with the goals and policies of the YMCA. Coordinates activities, which fit the children’s developmental needs.
- Provides leadership for staff overseeing the activities of several groups of children.
- Supervises a group of children to ensure their health and safety, and to provide for a positive experience for each child.
- Communicates with and maintains positive relationships with families. May conduct conferences.
- Provides day-to-day leadership to staff and volunteers.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergency procedures.
- Provides assistance to supervisor and may fill-in during temporary absences.
- Maintains ordered arrangement, appearance, decor, cleanliness, and learning environment of site.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Assists in recruitment of members for the Parent Advisory Group.
- Demonstrate the "Character Counts" values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility in all your dealings with members, guests, volunteers and fellow staff.
SKILLS / REQUIREMENTS:
18 years of age or older.
Current state approved first-aid certification. *
Current state approved community CPR certification. *
TB test by the Manitou method. **
School-Age programs: 12 credits in elementary education, or the educational equivalent, in courses such as recreation, physical education, education, music, art, psychology or social services.
Experience in working with children the same age as those to be supervised.
One year of experience or more in program planning preferred.
Knowledge of culturally relevant and developmentally appropriate practices.
- Ability to plan, lead and participate in activities.
Position Type: Part time
Filing date by: open until filled
Submit resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org