DECISION FOR SUMMER 2020
Dear Camp Family:
With this COVID-19 virus reality before us, we determined we must cancel camp for the summer of 2020. This is a heart-breaking and incredibly difficult decision and was not entered into lightly by our staff. There were some tearful moments. We are working on some options for the summer to offer to your family.
We had hoped that we could make this a great summer for all those youths who have missed out on friends and activities for the past several months.
Our team explored numerous options to keep camp divided into small groups and continually keep separated. We have engaged with several national entities:
- YMCA camp directors, and others, from across the country
- State Government and Department of Health
- American Camp Association
- YMCA of the USA
When you send your child to camp, we fully grasp the level of trust you place with us to provide a safe, fun and transformational camp experience. We strive to make sure we uphold these expectations – to protect campers and staff and to make sure families and guests for years to come.
We want to make this process as simple as possible for your family to decide how you would like to redistribute the funds on your Bear Valley account.
OPTIONS: options include donations, to help us keep our full time staff employed and remain sustainable for 2020, roll over of your funds to summer 2021, a full refund or a combination of these options.
TARGET DATE: We appreciate your patience as we work through this process. We will have forms available for you by July 6, 2020
Thank you for your continued support in the YMCA Bear Valley Camp!
Did Bear Valley consider alternatives to cancelling the entire summer?
We did. We looked at a variety of options including starting camp later in the summer with smaller sessions, reducing camper capacity, only certain age groups, smaller cabin groups, removing large group gatherings like campfires and a variety of options around meals and the dining halls. After thoughtful consideration, we decided none of the options could provide the safe and enjoyable high quality experience at Bear Valley YMCA Camp that we promise and you expect.
If guideline/recommendations clear up during the summer, will you reconsider this decision?
Unfortunately, we will not be able to change course mid-summer. Due to the amount of preparation that goes into getting facilities ready and staff fully trained, we simply cannot safely open mid-summer. Additionally, for our seasonal summer staff,