Build a skill. save a life.
Being a top quality lifeguard come from rigorous training, commitment, vigilance, and quality supervision. A lifeguard who is experienced, prepared and confident is an asset to the community. That' why the Sacramento Central YMCA offers American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Courses.
The Lifeguard Program is a scenario-based training course, where participants learn what it takes to be a professional lifeguard. This course provides all the certifications required by the State of California to lifeguard at any pool, beach, or water park.
2018 (All 10am-6pm)
*Classes always offered at Spring Break and Winter Break in 2019
- Y-Members: $200
- Non-Member: $225
Registration can be completed ONLINE , over the phone or at the Sacramento Central YMCA. For over the phone registration please call the Front Desk at 916.452.9622.
AGE: You must be age 16 or older by the last day of the Lifeguard Program.
E-LEARNING: You must complete approximately 8 hours of e-learning prior to the 1st day of the course. You must provide a certification of completion to your Lifeguard Instructor.
- Information regarding "E-Learning" will be sent out one week prior to the start of the class.
WATER SKILLS: Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs.
Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface to breathe (or to get a breath).
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- If you an unable to complete the in-water skills test you will not be allowed to progress in the course. You will be allowed to transfer to a course held on a later date.
You will need to bring the following to your course:
- E-Learning completion certificate
- Athletic swimsuit and multiple towels
- Participant Permission form for individuals under age 18 (available at Sacramento YMCA Front Desk)
Upon successful completion of the course you will receive the following certifications:
- American Red Cross Lifeguard (pool)
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Basic First Aid
- Blood-borne Pathogens
All Cpr/First aid and Lifeguarding participants will be eligible for a partial refund (all but $10 processing fee) if canceled a week before the start of the class (Start date indicated on receipt). There are NO REFUNDS if canceled the day before class starts. The only exception is a refund for special situations including an injury, illness or a family related emergency where you are unable to complete the class. A refund for the class of the will be issued if the YMCA has to cancel due to low enrollment.