RED CROSS LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION COURSES
Being a top-quality lifeguard comes from rigorous training, commitment, vigilance, and quality supervision. A lifeguard who is experienced, prepared, and confident is an asset to the community. The Sacramento Central YMCA offers American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Courses.
The American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification course will train and certify participants to be a lifeguard for swimming pools. The Lifeguard certification course includes the following American Red Cross certifications: Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the professional rescuer, valid for 2 years. The YMCA of Superior California courses are all a blended learning course format with online education, classroom, and in-water components. American Red Cross requires all Lifeguard certification candidates to complete the American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Online Course prior to the first-class date (details sent after registration). Participants must be at least 15 years old at the time of the course. Attendance is required at all class sessions listed in the course description.
Upon successful completion of the course the participant will be certified in:
- American Red Cross Lifeguard (pool)
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Basic First Aid
- Bloodborne Pathogens
Jun 03, 2022 - Jun 05, 2022 @ 10:00 AM-6:00 PM
Jun 08, 2022 - Jun 10, 2022 @ 10:00 AM-6:00 PM
Jun 11, 2022 - Jun 13, 2022 @ 10:00 AM-6:00 PM
*you must attend all days
- Members: $250
- Non-Members $300
- You must be age 15 or older by the last day of the Lifeguard Program.
You must complete approximately 8 hours of e-learning prior to the 1st day of the course. You must provide a certification of completion to your Lifeguard Instructor. Information regarding "E-Learning" will be sent out one week prior to the start of the class.
- Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface to breathe (or to get a breath).
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
*If you an unable to complete the in-water skills test you will not be allowed to progress in the course. You will be allowed to transfer to a course held at a later date.
All CPR/First aid and Lifeguarding participants will be eligible for a partial refund (all but $15 processing fee) if the class is canceled a week before the start of class (Start date indicated on receipt). There are NO REFUNDS if canceled the day before or the day class starts. The only exception is a refund for special situations including an injury, illness, or a family-related emergency where you are unable to complete the class. A refund for the class will be issued if the YMCA has to cancel due to low enrollment.